Surrounding the Viad of today are graves from both older and younger Iron Age situated. The biggest gravefield contains around 230 graves. It is situated close to the cottage Oxhagen. The graves are very well kept and easy to see. It also contains a rich variation of different types of graves.
The first time we see Viad in the written records is in the year 1407. It is then spelled Wiem. A scientist specialized in place names has interpreted the name as “Vihem”. That means approximately “the district at the sacrificial place”. The many gravefields in the neighbourhood tells us that the area was densely populated. The people might have felt the need for such a place so the theory is a possible one. The sacrificial place has never been found though. The village Via was burnt to the ground by the Russians in the year 1719.
140 years later were all the farms in the village owned by one single man, Christian Homeyer. He decided to create one big farm, which also demanded a big main building. That is the building that stands there today. In connection with the building of the house a d was added to the earlier village name and the name Viad was used by everyone by the end of the 19th century. Most probably Homeyer thought Viad sounded better than Via. The building is well kept and built late empire style. The two neighbouring villages lie to the east and is called Österby and Eldtomta.